Skip to main content

People of Color

Call me racist, but I hate the phrase "people of color". I just do. It's stupid. But I can list a few reasons, too.

Firstly, everyone has a color. White people range from light pinkish to beige to tan. And East Asian people are often as white, as far as skin pigmentation, as white people.

But OK, the term "white person" has been used for a long time and is generally understood. But guess what...scientifically speaking, white is a combination of every color, while black is the absence of color. So, everyone but black people should be known as "people of color" if you want to be more scientific about it.

But there's more. "People of color" refers to all non-whites, who have absolutely nothing in common besides the fact that they're not white. Michio Kaku, Queen Latifah, King Ashoka, and Kim Jong-Un are all people of color. Please tell me the traits they all share, which none of them share with white people. Besides being "people of color", I bet you can't name one.

If there's a designation for every human who isn't white, then there should be a designation for everyone who isn't black, and a designation for anyone who isn't East Asian, and a designation for everyone who isn't a Native American. But there isn't. There are only two categories that count - white and non-white.

What I really hate is when people say "I will tell you, as a person of color..." or "Speaking as a person of color..." You know what? You can't speak for anyone but yourself, so just talk about your experiences. What if a white person said, "Speaking as a person of non-color..." Hmm...speaking for the entire white race? You have that authority? You can do that? But speaking as a person of color is worse. Because you're not even speaking for one race, but for every race, to the exclusion of just one.

Finally, for good measure, I'll bring up one more irritating and ironic point. A few decades ago, "colored person" was the standard phrase for non-white people. Now, it's racist to say "colored people", but if you reverse it and say "people of color", it's the most uplifting thing in the world.

A: "So, what is the opinion of colored people like yourself on this point?"
B: "How dare you call me a colored person! I'm a person of color! OK, now that we've got that straight, I'll tell you what we all think..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Islamic State has beheaded at least 21 Christians in Libya.

Whenever a Muslim brings up the Crusades, I have to laugh to myself.  Christians have done horrible things, including in later crusades against Constantinople and the Cathars in particular.  However, get this.  The Islamic State militants said, "Safety for you crusaders is something you can only wish for" right before butchering Egyptian Christians. It seems that many Muslims haven't taken a single history class.  If they had, they would have known that Christians existed in Egypt for 400 years before Islam.  (Heck, they were even around to murder Hypatia, perhaps the last major ancient female philosopher.)  It was the Muslims who were the "Crusaders"...yet almost nobody will admit to this.  Muslims instigated a merciless war against Christian Egyptians until they were overcome and under Islamic domination.  They did this to people across the world, from Spain to India...massacring any who resisted.  They tried to destroy the Byzaintine Em...

In Defense of...Cecil Rhodes?!

You all know Cecil Rhodes, right?  He was a British Imperialist (living from 1853-1902) who founded the De Beers diamond mining and trading company.  Just this morning, I came upon a post comparing him to Adolf Hitler, and claiming that Cecil Rhodes killed at least 60 million Africans.  It has been shared 99 times.  Here is the post: https://plus.google.com/+TonyJefferson/posts/CZ6HW3AxDo6 Unlike many, I decided to do some research on it.  That is my nature.  I don't accept things without evidence given, and even when no evidence is provided, I search for evidence.  If after looking, no evidence is forthcoming, then I discount the claim unless compelling evidence does surface.  After my research on this topic (taking up about an hour of my day and 28 open tabs on my browser...but still an enjoyable time because this is what I like to do), I found that my initial skepticism was well justified and that this comparison is incorrect.  Adolph H...

The Sixth Great Mass Extinction and Human Survival

Recently, there have been numerous articles about a study showing that we are in the midst of the Earth's sixth great mass extinction.  Below are some quotes, and then I will give my thoughts. "Miami (AFP) - The world is embarking on its sixth mass extinction with animals disappearing about 100 times faster than they used to, scientists warned Friday, and humans could be among the first victims." "Not since the age of the dinosaurs ended 66 million years ago has the planet been losing species at this rapid a rate, said a study led by experts at Stanford University, Princeton University and the University of California, Berkeley." "The study "shows without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event," said co-author Paul Ehrlich, a Stanford University professor of biology." http://news.yahoo.com/sixth-mass-extinction-us-study-210749359.html This is sad, although it's not news.  I ...