Skip to main content
Obama Wins Re-Election, and More


Well, I called it.  Not so much me, but the pollsters and electoral vote mapping sites whom I've been checking in on quite frequently for the past 6 months or so.  I thought that the result would be Obama: 332 and Romney: 206 (I put down Obama: 332-247 and Romney 191-206 just because I was a bit hopeful about North Carolina, which didn't go Obama's way this time).  It turns out that I (and hence, the polls leading up until now) were correct.

Here are some major things that have happened today:

-  Obama re-elected
-  Gay marriage legalized by ballot initiative in Maryland and Maine
-  Recreational use of marijuana legalized for the first time ever in the U.S., in Colorado and Washington.
-  Alan Grayson (outspoken Democrat representative who was defeated 2 years ago) reclaims a house seat.

There are others.  As for marijuana, I've never tried it and don't care to try it (neither do I like to drink alcohol or smoke).  The legalization doesn't affect me at all.  But I think that these two states (Colorado and Washington) can be laboratories that can show whether crime increases or decreases or remains the same in a situation of legal marijuana usage.  If the crime rate goes down or remains the same, other states can see that an there will probably be a legalizing process around the country within the next 10 years or so.  If crime increases, then we might see fewer of these legalizing initiatives.  As for me, I don't think that violent crime will increase, but we'll need tests to prove this - and those states are the labs.

Looking at a current map of same-sex marriage in the U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_marriage_in_America), it appears that nearly all of New England (except for Rhode Island) has legalized it, along with New York, Iowa, DC, and now Maryland.  It's spreading, and I don't think it will stop.  I predict that it will sweep most of the "blue states" over the next decade or so, but it will be hard going in the South (and some mountain states like Utah), which has - throughout all of American history - been against civil rights (and for God) more than any other region.  It has forever been the region that has held America back the most.

I know that the Republicans will regroup and cause much misery over the next 4 years and much longer, but the day after Election Day is one that I can savor.  It's a time when, for a few hours at least, they are forced to see the world the way it is, not the way they want it to be.  God let them down.  God didn't answer their prayers.

I don't know if I can fully put this on the Republicans, but they seem so uneducated and have no desire to seek out information.  If they had, they'd know that no major poll ever had Romney leading in the country.  The nearest was his "bump" after the first debate.  I looked through some comments just as the results were coming in, and they thought that Romney's early lead meant something.  Nope...if only Georgia and Alabama have their results in, that's not indicative of the way the race is going.  Below are some comments from one article (http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/06/14976592-victorious-obama-more-determined-in-face-of-challenges#comments):

"Uh-oh Romney ahead in in popular and electoral votes @ 89 already...
paging Dr. Kevorkian "stand by for the liberals" this will be the last line you have to wait in and your suffering will be over !!!!!"

"Ahahaha!! Your boy's losing so far!
Romney/Ryan 2012 baby!"

"Romney @ 156 54% popular vote
Obama @ 129 46% popular vote
People are starting there cars with the garage door closed !!!!!
and republicans retain control of house !!!!"

"I'm not for bailing out useless union workers, I hope ohio goes down the toilet with the rest obama loving welfare leaches"

"PLEASE ROMNEY WIN! IF WIN, please don't ..chimpout! "in da inna city! Yo G,' kno whut ima sayin'"

I guess you can tell that "chimpout" means "black people having violent fits in the streets", according to some outspoken Republicans (who of course are not bigoted...don't you dare insinuate such a thing!).

I would really like to know the exact time when an arrogant Republican realized that Obama had won.  I'd love to know what went through a Republican's mind at that time.  (Keep the guns out of reach.)

Well, the Republicans lost.  They won the House of Representatives, but everyone knew that would happen...or at least those following the polls.  Pretty much, the situation is not much different from how it has been.

I can only hope that the Republicans don't "chimpout" on us.  Keep a cool head, fellas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Defense of...Cecil Rhodes?!

You all know Cecil Rhodes, right?  He was a British Imperialist (living from 1853-1902) who founded the De Beers diamond mining and trading company.  Just this morning, I came upon a post comparing him to Adolf Hitler, and claiming that Cecil Rhodes killed at least 60 million Africans.  It has been shared 99 times.  Here is the post: https://plus.google.com/+TonyJefferson/posts/CZ6HW3AxDo6 Unlike many, I decided to do some research on it.  That is my nature.  I don't accept things without evidence given, and even when no evidence is provided, I search for evidence.  If after looking, no evidence is forthcoming, then I discount the claim unless compelling evidence does surface.  After my research on this topic (taking up about an hour of my day and 28 open tabs on my browser...but still an enjoyable time because this is what I like to do), I found that my initial skepticism was well justified and that this comparison is incorrect.  Adolph Hitler and Cecil Rhodes cannot be compare

Inconvenient History – The Barbary Slave Trade

Once upon a time, slavers ravaged the coastal towns of the European continent. Eventually, the response to that would include clear proof that the United States is not founded on a religion. Soon thereafter, European imperialism would become the driving force for the abolition of slavery around the world. Continue reading to learn more. The Barbary Slave Trade is a relatively small part of the Arab Slave Trade, which itself is only one part of the Islamic Slave Trade (which besides Arab slavers, includes Turks enslaving Europeans and Africans, Muslim invaders of India and Sub-Saharan Africa, Malay enslavers of local minorities, and other Islamic slavers). For example, the Arab Slave Trade may have enslaved up to 18 million people over its span (not including those born enslaved), while the Barbary Slave Trade enslaved some number over 1 million. Bear in mind that this number is three times the number of enslaved people (roughly 388 thousand) sent to the area of the United Sta

The Sixth Great Mass Extinction and Human Survival

Recently, there have been numerous articles about a study showing that we are in the midst of the Earth's sixth great mass extinction.  Below are some quotes, and then I will give my thoughts. "Miami (AFP) - The world is embarking on its sixth mass extinction with animals disappearing about 100 times faster than they used to, scientists warned Friday, and humans could be among the first victims." "Not since the age of the dinosaurs ended 66 million years ago has the planet been losing species at this rapid a rate, said a study led by experts at Stanford University, Princeton University and the University of California, Berkeley." "The study "shows without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event," said co-author Paul Ehrlich, a Stanford University professor of biology." http://news.yahoo.com/sixth-mass-extinction-us-study-210749359.html This is sad, although it's not news.  I